The South African Urban Food & Farming Trust (SAUFFT) is a non-profit organisation working through food and farming to strengthen South Africa’s urban communities and the ecosystems that sustain them.
SAUFFT, based in Cape Town, South Africa, is pleased to invite suitably qualified individuals to apply for the position of
Finance and Admin Manager
The ideal candidate for this exciting and challenging position has a highly rigorous approach to managing finances exceeded only by their passion to make a positive impact in the world. They will thrive in the creative tension between detail-oriented compliance and the out-of-the-box innovation that drives social entrepreneurship. They will have great resourcefulness and adaptability, and appreciate the challenges of working with volunteers, in communities, and under the resource constraints of nonprofits, yet manage the financial and administrative needs of the organisation in ways that delight funders, empower executives and give clarity and confidence to trustees.
Please note that this is a full-time, Cape Town-based position, however some flexibility exists to allow for locations elsewhere in exceptional cases or for periods of time. Candidates must have a fully Internet-connected, functional, dedicated workspace at home for times when they may be required to work remotely.
Primary responsibilities for this challenging position include:
- Carry out the bookkeeping, procurement, invoicing and payment operations
- Prepare financial reports
- Engage with external accountants for production of Annual Financial Statements, annual tax return, monthly payroll, and other relevant matters
- Process cash books
- Perform monthly reconciliations
- Support preparation of various budgets
- Maintain registration with various databases and authorities
- Coordinate and support Trustee meetings
- Provide administrative support for the Trust as required from time to time
- Manage and maintain the asset registry and ensure needs for insurance, maintenance and servicing are met
- Assist with venue bookings, catering and services arrangements for workshops and events
Required minimum training and work experience:
- 8-10 years’ experience in bookkeeping, procurement and administration
- Competency in use of Xero, Sage or other cloud-based accounting system
- Computer literate in MS Office, E-mail, Calendar and internet browsers, use of G Suite/Google Workspace or similar cloud-based file sharing and collaborative software. Strong Excel skills required.
- Experienced in self-managing financial operations, requiring minimal supervision
Applicants with the following attributes are encouraged to apply for this exciting new opportunity:
- Methodical and systematic, accurate and detail-oriented
- Ability to work in a team
- Ability to work with minimal direct supervision
- Ability to communicate effectively in English
- Report writing skills
- Enthusiastic and pro-active approach to work
- Ability to be flexible and adapt to a changing environment
- Agreement with and personal and professional commitment to the principles and goals of the Trust
- Ambition to play a key role in building a world-class organisation
What SAUFFT offers:
SAUFFT provides the opportunity to work with an established and well-known NGO entering a period of expansion. Compensation offered will be based on experience and qualifications, considering the constraints of the non-profit sector.
To apply for this position:
NB: this is a 3-year contract with a possibility of renewal subject to funding and performance.
The following documentation needs to be submitted:
- A letter of motivation, not to exceed two pages, including salary expectations and available starting date
- A CV of not more than three pages
- Three contactable references
- Copies of your ID/passport and relevant qualifications
These should be submitted to email@example.com no later than 17h00 (UTC+2) Friday, 30 September 2022.
No late or incomplete applications will be considered. All documents will be treated as strictly confidential and for internal use only during this recruitment process.
Kindly note that applicants who have not been contacted within 30 days of the closing date should consider their application unsuccessful. The SA Urban Food and Farming Trust reserves the right not to appoint an individual in relation to this job advert.