We are hiring on the Farm! The Oranjezicht City Farm’s longstanding farm manager is hanging up her secateurs at the end of the year to enjoy her retirement full-time. As a consequence, the SA Urban Food & Farming Trust has a search open through 17 October 2021 to appoint a
The ideal candidate for this exciting and challenging position has a passion for food gardening, great resourcefulness and adaptability, excellent people skills, experience in managing people and working with volunteers, creative and entrepreneurial drive, and a love of community. They will provide day-to-day management and leadership of farming and related activities at the Oranjezicht City Farm and management of its teams of farmers, volunteers and interns. The key function of this role is to sustain and grow the Oranjezicht City Farm as an innovative non-profit organic food garden in support of the broader mission of the SA Urban Food & Farming Trust. The Farm Manager will need to be based in Cape Town and have their own transport.
Key performance areas for this challenging position include:
- Managing the farm in all farming-related aspects, including crop cultivation, management of farmers and volunteers, harvesting crops, sales and delivery of produce
- Responsibility for compost, bokashi and nursery production, stockholding and sales
- Responsibility for the allotment programme
- Procurement of all items needed for the farm’s operations
- Handling of all income received on the farm and expenditures for the farm, including recordkeeping
- Responsibility for care and maintenance of all structures, areas, tools and equipment, including the farm’s bakkie
- Involvement in the planning and presentation of events, workshops and other activities including farm tours and school group visits
- Engaging with members of the public and visitors to the farm, as well as partners and other stakeholders
- Continuous innovation regarding ways the farm can best be utilised to deliver on its non-profit educational mission and the broader mission of the SAUFFT
- Development and management of annual expense budget and achievement of revenue targets
Applicants with the following attributes are encouraged to apply for this exciting opportunity:
- Proven knowledge and experience in organic market gardening
- A track record of success as a manager of people and projects
- A passion for community development and non-profit work
- Financial literacy and the ability to develop and manage budgets, income and expenditure
- Administrative skills and computer literacy, including with standard office software and Google Suite applications
- A pattern of resourcefulness, innovation and determination
- Skilled at working in a self-directed and entrepreneurial way without direct day-to-day supervision
- Ambition to play a key role in building a world-class organisation
What SAUFFT offers:
We provide the opportunity to lead and manage a widely-recognised non-profit urban farm as it enters its 10th year, a key project within a dynamic NGO entering a period of expansion. The salary offered will be based on experience and qualifications, considering the constraints of the non-profit sector. The successful candidate will be expected to start work as soon as possible, with a minimum probationary period of three months.
To apply for this position:
The following documentation needs to be submitted:
- A letter of motivation, not to exceed two pages, including salary expectations and available start date.
- A CV of not more than three pages
- Three contactable references
- Copies of your ID/passport, driving license, and relevant qualifications
These should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 17 October 2021.
No late or incomplete applications will be considered.
Kindly note that applicants who have not been contacted within 30 days of the closing date should consider their application unsuccessful. The SA Urban Food and Farming Trust reserves the right not to appoint an individual in relation to this job advert.